Friday, September 17, 2010

BUELLERSHIP CONTEST Day 1




Here are the winning entries for Day 1 of the Buellership Contest! With over 90 entires, it was very, very difficult selecting two for the initial post! However, after careful consideration, hours of reading hilarious stories, we are very confident that we chose the absolute best Day 1 winners!

ANDREW MEEHAN "Picture of the Day"
Age: 18
The Canyons


"My parents usually let me skip a few days of school a season to go skiing. So on a good pow day, you would much rather ski than go to school. I had sent an email to my teacher saying that I had some family problems, so I would not be able to make it to school. Needless to say it was one of the most epic days of skiing I had all season. My friend had been taking a few photos during the day, and ended up submitting the photos to the resort for "Picture of the day." I didn't think much about this, but then the next day I see my friends photo on the resorts site. I was wayyy stoked about this, until I walked into class and my teacher asked me to come up and look at the paper I had written a few days before. On his screen was the "Picture of the Day." My heart stopped and he looks at me and said, "So, how was the snow?" I had no option but to come clean. He then asked me to stay after class, so we could talk about skipping school. Our conversation ended up being awesome, and he told me about all the days he skipped in high school, to go skiing. It ended up being worth it, but he asked me to just be honest about where I was going. He was a little upset about the fact that I used an excuse to go skiing. We ended up becoming pretty close, and we actually skied together one day. He also wrote my recommendation for my college applications, which helped me get into my first choice school."

Kai Stritter "Hospital Jailbreak"
Age: 17
Northstar, CA

I do attend highschool, but my story is about my epic jailbreak from the hospital. During morning break at school on the Friday before the annual Tahoe long weekend trip my friends and I do, I fell playing basketball and broke my wrist super badly. There was a visible bump on the side of my wrist were the bones were sticking in odd directions and it swelled up huge. On my way to the hospital it hit me...I won't be able to shred Squaw and Northstar this weekend! Supremely bummed, I cooperated with the nurses and doctors as they gave me pain meds and checked out my wrist. It seemed excessive, but I got a cot in a room and everything (It was a pretty gnarly break, I wont lie it hurt like hell). The nurse insists I take a nap and should probably stay the night, unmoving. Anyways, I wake up from my nap (drugged out of my mind on pain meds) to my 3 skiing buddies (the 4th one was at football practice) piling into my room to see me. They jokingly trash talked me mercilessly, but we were all bummed I couldn't come. I made them promise to get lots of footage so I could see what I missed. They said goodbye and I went back to sleep.

A couple hours later, (when friend 4 had finished football) I wake up to my friend hovering above me gently shaking me to wake up. "Waddup brutha, were here to break you out. lets go skiing bro!" One friend puts his beanie on my head (I dont remember who...pain meds). I move my wrist from the little holding platform next to my bed and get out of my ugly hospital robe thing and put on the EC headwear Tee they brought for me. Around me like a group of body guards, they sneak me out the guest entrance. I was later told that i was giggling relentlessly the entire time, not really sure what was happening.

Anyways, what ended up happening was I got to go up with them. I didn't ski until the last day and only for the morning, but at least I got to chill with them after the ski day (I slept most of the day anyways). My dad was OK with it (he authorized it), but he didn't tell my mom so I got in trouble. The hospital was also super mad at us, but they couldn't do much about it because I was 4 hours away in Tahoe!

All in all, it was an awesome trip even if I didn't get to ski much!"

For skiers that entered but did not win on day one, not to fear, there are 18 more winners that will be selected!!!! STOKED!

*Editor's Note: Ferris Bueller didn't use spellcheck and you shouldn't either. These stories are straight raw and uncut from the OG story tellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment