Sunday, September 19, 2010

DAY 3 WINNERS! Buellership Contest

Congratulations to Reid Norton & Michael Maniscalco! You WIN!!!!!!


Reid Norton


Well it all started as a sunny winter day in Duluth, Minnesota. As I headed into class during my junior year of high school I noticed a cool haze come over the sky and as the day went on, snow started to turn from a dusting, to flurries, to full on freshies! Now, I better tell you, that if your not used to Midwest snow, we are used to skiing snow with a layer of glass over it. So, as soon as I saw fresh stuff, I borrowed the hall pass out of my 11th grade English class and booked it straight home, grabbed my gear, threw on my pants and jacket and drove up to our local ski area called Spirit "Mountain" which just happened to be the biggest hill in northern Minnesota. And as I enjoyed a rare dry snowstorm, reveling in the face shots and pow pillows, I skied for hours and I came out of the trees and skied down to the lodge to grab some hot chocolate only to see my English teacher working at the concessions. Just my luck, she took off the last hour of school that year to work at the mountain and teach our school's ski club. Perfect. I was busted. After that, I decided to ski freshies AFTER school for the rest of high school. After graduation, I moved to Jackson Hole, and I'm currently living in Salt Lake City. Now I know what REAL pow is like!



Michael Maniscalco
Blue Mtn. PA

Well let's see.
I'd love to lie about this part but I simply can't. Last winter I probably skipped a total of 7 days to ski in the PA pow. The best was this: I got to a performing arts high school for playing oboe, so I drive about 1 hour to school EVERY day. Where I live is north of the school near the Poconos, so it dumped one night for me, but NOT A THING at the school. I know...FML. NOT! I pleaded to my parents to let me go skiing during school because us living in PA, never get powder. EVER. After about an hour of begging and stupidly trying to bribe my dad with chores and such, I got a yes! They called in and we left to pick up another friend who also ditched.

So we are driving up the mountain in my dads front wheel drive Honda Accord. About half way up my dad says "I'm not going to be able to make it up that, so it's either we head home or you guys walk up. We start to walk up. I'd say it's about a mile to go...in dumping snow. (Rhyme not intended) We walk and walk and about an hour later we're in the lodge about to go out. That day, we slayed an almost empty park, and even did some illegal tree skiing.

Probably the best day ever. Ski'd amazingness. Missed about a week of school after that due to snow days. What can I say. Smooth moves.

Michael Maniscalco

No comments:

Post a Comment