Sunday, September 26, 2010

DAY 7: Buellership



Skylar Scheid
Age 14
Alpine Meadows, CA


my half and half story creamy story. Please excuse my vocab im not in school enough to learn any thing too busy skiing. Alritght so this up coming semester( jan somthing) i am going to be done with highschool till summer. for a few reasons...... ya i could say i really really love the sport and being in the mountains and all that but to tell you the truth i wanna get really good at skiing like Tom Wallisch so i can get all my sh*t for free, have fun eternaly untill i blow my knee and ya you all know the song. If you dont know it then look it up. But in all serisnous this winter im skiing 5 day a week while getting a eduication...........kinda.Remember kids skip school to ski, and on pow days your up on the hill NO excuses.


Charlie
Vermont

Not sure whether this counts, because I wasnt gone for a whole day, but it was the most fun i have ever had on a school day. It was 8th grade, middle of January. The night before was one of those where it seems like you might never sleep, because you just want to watch the snow fall. "18 inches," the weather forecast said, which is a lot for mid-Vermont.

The next morning, I woke up, and immediately turned on the TV, to confirm what i thought was a snow day for sure, with 2 feet of snow outside my front door. However, i guess the superintendent had other ideas.

SHIT.

I could have killed myself right there; it was one of the best days of the year, and just two weeks before we had a snow day because of 4 inches of slush.

"Screw it," said my dad, who I am infinitely glad is a fellow skier and pow lover. "We're going skiing. You'll be back by noon."

And we were off. That was the fastest time we had ever made to the small mountain half an hour from our house. As I skated to the lift, to be first in line, i started to get the jitters. There's nothing better than pow instead of school.

Run after run after run, every single one was great. Soaring off of all of the cliffs I could find, landing in that fluffy white stuff, making me grin. It was great. It was also 11:30 before I knew it.

My dad sacrificed a run, and pulled the car around so i could get that one more. I rode up the lift that one last time, thinking, "Snow. It's snow. It's everywhere. And I'm the only one in my class enjoying it. Ha."

Took off from the top, shredded down, skiing what was left of the powder that I and five others has skied off fairly quickly, at the small mountain. Sent a cliff, and made some super G turns to the bottom, right to the car door.

I pulled my boots off in the car, and thought of my excuse the whole way back to school.

"I think the goggle marks might give it away," said my dad.

I was there in time for lunch, and my rosy cheeks and goggle impressions on my face didnt give it away. And my excuse? The car was stuck.

Good thing we have a garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment